Mike Henry

Default Buying a Mini Late in China

I spent about 6 months in Hong Kong about 10 years ago. If things are the
same now as then, the best buys seemed to be for silk and jewelry and the
worst for high tech stuff like PCs, though software was dirt cheap so long
as you didn't mind getting it on cheap floppies. Optics were also the same
price or more expensive as here in the US. I'd expect that buying a 7x10
lathe there would not be a good idea. They do have some interesting machine
shops set up in little cubby-hole type stalls in the shopping districts,
though. You might find an intereesting old US lathe at one of those. It
would be a hoot to bring back an old SB.

"DanBlather" wrote in message
I'm going to be in China for a couple of weeks and was thinking about

buying
a mini-lathe, something like the Harbor Freight 7X10. Anyone ever done

this?
Suggestions of what to look for or avoid?

Thanks.