Jeff Wisnia

Default Buying a Mini Late in China

DanBlather wrote:

I'm going to be in China for a couple of weeks and was thinking about buying
a mini-lathe, something like the Harbor Freight 7X10. Anyone ever done this?
Suggestions of what to look for or avoid?

Thanks.

I don't know about buying one there, but I wonder if you'd find ones with 120
volt motors that easily over there.

And, unless you've got some angel (or employer) picking up your freight bill for
you, I'd check out the transportation cost of getting a one 100 pound package
(and, the crating costs.) back home, not to mention possible US customs fees.
Those costs are likely to bust any purchase price savings on what you can buy
here for under $400 when they're on sale.

And, you may get unlucky and happen to buy one there which suffers some kind of
infant mortality. HF will help you out, but whoya gonna call in China?

Just my .02,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."