Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Laminate Flooring, Architraves & Beading

No Thanks go@away wrote:

I completely agree, at the time I was grumbling about the extra work,
but I'm so glad I did replace the skirting.

I have toyed with doing this but won't it create more work when
eventually you go back to carpet as there will be a big gap below the
skirting?

Not a problem - you just trim the carpet a bit fuller, and it tucks into the
gap.

I've got something similar in my bedroom, but for a different reason. When I
installed fitted chests of drawers, they had to be levelled to allow for an
uneven floor. There is a skirting-like moulding which I then fitted to the
bottom of the units. In order to look right, this needed to be square and
level with the units rather than with the floor - with the result that there
was a gap of up to 10mm in places. When the carpet was fitted, this went
into the gap and it doesn't show at all.
--
Cheers,
Roger