Larry Jaques

Default Self-Reproducing Machine Tools

On 03 Oct 2003 11:16:44 GMT, ( Doug Goncz )
pixelated:

That's what I've discovered in theory, a sort of
parity law or exclusion principle. Goncz's Postulate: You Need Two of
Everything to Be Able to Make One of Anything.

Ain't dat de trufe?

Anyone with funding?

It has recently become clear that the best funding is available from a machine
tool manufacturer. Once their brand is selected as representing an adequate
range of machines and we select a mill model, lathe model, etc,, we write an
order and ask that it be delivered for research free of charge.

Yes! Grants are good.

And yes, each pair can be in a different location and may or may not include a
foundry. Ideally, all pairs and a foundry, a stock supply, and a coffe pot in
several thousand square feet of comfortable indoor shop, heated, cooled, and
always dry.

You forgot "self-cleaning", Doug. Or do you have foundry-bots
scouring the floors for kibbles and swarf, each one eating
only its type of metal kibble? (preventing unauthorized alloys)

With this, in contrast to a deadline job, we start with the easy stuff first.
Or the lightest stuff in the mass based model.

I like it! Then you can see that you've actually made some
progress, with racks of parts piling up as you go. It's a
self-fulfilling impetus.