Chuck

Default Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?

I have an older Sears compressor that was given to me because it had
pinholes in the tank. I would like to replace the tank with a larger unit
(20 gal instead of the current 11 gal). I think I've located a suitiable
portable tank. But, in the process, I wanted to learn a bit more about the
actual compressor itself.

The compressor currently has a 3/4 hp motor. At first glance I was kind of
depressed thinking "Gee, just about every compressor I see these days has 3
+ hp. Will this thing even work well?" In asking around I was told that
amperage plays a big part in the actual torque of the motor. This is where
I get confused... I thougth torque was the direct product of the motor's
hp. How does the amperage come into play? Can you have a "strong" or
"weak" 3/4 hp motor? What factors actually determine the torque? Or, am I
looking at this equation in the wrong way?

Specs of the motor I currently have (from the mfr plate on the cover):

Doerr
Insul Class: A
Ser. Fact: 1.0
MC544
RPM: 3450
Duty: Cont
Type: K
Phase: 1
HP: 3/4
HZ: 60
FR: F56
Mtr Ref: 600702 H733
Thermally Prot: Manual
V: 115
A: 14.4

Specs from the capacitor:
STM
A-2131-10
375MFD
110VAC 60 Cycle
1160-7317

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please post replys to the group.

Thanks!
Chuck