Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Laminate Flooring, Architraves & Beading

shahmonger wrote:

Am planning on laying a laminate floor this weekend and in the past I
have just cut around the architraves however I've been told that to
get the best finish, it's worth cutting the base of the architrave
and then sliding the flooring underneath.

Cutting round architraves is very tedious and very difficult to do well. It
depends if the architrave is proud of the adjacent skirting or flush with
it. If proud, then one of those Japanese style fine tooth pull saws is
excellent. If flush a sharp chisel would be better.

Also, with regards to beading, I've been advised that the best way of
nailing this to the skirting board is to use a nail gun as opposed to
using a small hammer as this way you don't end up denting the beading?

I'd agree a nail gun is a better option - much faster if nothing else. You
can still damage the beading though, unless you use the soft rubber tip
protector. Have you considered a constuction adhesive like No More Nails?
As long as the skirting is flat enough that would be easier.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman