Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Default Tiles fell off in shower

All it took was a little water to re-liquify the drywall mud and the tile
drops off. I know, this happened to my shower that was built in the early
70s. Ripped it all out, javexed the mold, and rebuilt the shower with
Wonderboard then installed new tiles with thinset. Lasted over 20 years, no
signs of any failure.

"Ignoramus15467" wrote in message
On 21 Feb 2006 11:57:37 -0800, Newfie wrote:
There has to be a reason for the tiles to fall off. I know gravity is
one of them but if they were installed correctly in the first place,
they would not move. Check to see if there is water leak, excessive
vibration etc.. Is the drywall damaged in any way? If not go ahead
with the silicone adhesive. If you drywall is damaged, replace it and
use good adhesive.

Drywall appears to be undamaged. My theory is that water penetrated
bad grout seals. The house is abotu 25 yo.