Rich Naples

Default Rust removal...

Necessity is the mother of all...or is that frustration, humph! Today I
decided to continue cleaning up the 16 " 4-Jaw chuck I was mettling with and
after two minutes of wire brushing with a drill I had more than enough dust
in my face. Well that's enough of that crap, no more! Hey I thought, I
think I saw something about white vinegar and salt on the metalworking ng.
Wonder what it will do? Damn no vinegar, what else might work? Wash hands.
dry hands, pick up hand cleaner and look at lable. Well let's
see...D-Limonene, good solvent, pumice, good polish...where's the scouring
pad. Well I'll be, no surface rust with little rubbing and deep rust is
dark gray on the surface, didn't help pitted area's but the rest looks great
for little effort and the more I rubbed the better it looked. I actually
stood and just rubbed one spot for five minutes and could see a gradual
change in surface color. I decided not to rinse with water ands just wiped
with paper towels. It also worked great on painted area's of an old Royal
drill press with chipped paint and rust mixed in. That DP table now looks
great also. Has anyone else had luck with anything like this? The hand
cleaner was a citrus base type with pumice, I did try a pumice type not
citrus based but it did not work on the rusted sreas so well, but on the
area's already done by the citrus one it made the area brighter. Look
forward to read other ways of cleaning up the rust. Rich.