Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Keith Hughes

Default Douglas Fir difficulty

Hitch wrote:
So, based on what I've read in this ng, Doug Fir is a real b***h to turn,
with lots of "pitting", tearout, and chunking. Any tips on how to do it
for this newbie? After three tries I finally got a lamppost turned, with
lots of sanding, but the base seems to be a no-go. Too much tearout. What
should I do? make the base a different way and then switch to another wood
for my next lamp? (I need to make a few for our house).

There are a couple of benefits to turning Douglas Fir.

1. If you practice cutting woods like Douglas fir until you can get a
good finish directly from the tool you will do wonders on woods that are
easier to work!

2. The vast difference in the hard and soft parts of the wood grain that
make this wood difficult to turn can result in some very interesting
patterns in the piece that you successfully turn (if you stick with it).

I did a lot of practice with this wood when starting out. If you keep
your tools sharp, cut with the grain, and practice good cutting
techniques you can get good results, without having to reach for the "60
grit gouge".

Good luck,

Keith Hughes
Comanche Trails Woodturners