Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz

Default what product to use?

RB wrote:
I have a 9/16" threaded shaft which screws into a socket. The threaded
shaft seems to be plated with chrome or nickel. The socket seems to be a
stainless or aluminum alloy of some sort. The threaded shaft has "set" in
the socket, and doesn't want to unscrew. As of yet, I don't want to force
it, as I think something would get damaged.

What is the best product to spray onto the joint area and let sit repeatedly
to help loosen the "set" that's been taken?

Hello,

When working on vintage cars, I've had good luck with a product called
'PB Rust Catalyst - Fabulous Blaster' which can be found at hardware
stores and auto parts stores. I have found it much more effective than
WD-40 (which really isn't intended for this anyway) or Liquid Wrench.

However, BE CAREFUL with the plastic. While I'm sure that any of the
products I've mentioned won't damage nylon bushings, they may contain
solvents that might damage the unspecified plastic used in the housing,
especially if gentle warming with a hair dryer will damage it.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics