Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default Oil Tank lifespan?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:sdmJf.4$PL2.0@trndny03...

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
Different areas mean different prices, but we will install a new tank
(and haul away the old one) for $900. HOWEVER! That means an above ground
tank (or one in a basement).

Replacing tanks on a calendar basis seems like overkill to me. There are
methods of testing tanks with ultrasound with no disruption of anything.
I can see after say, 25 years, you need a checkup every 3 or 5 years to
assure no corrosion.

The big problem now is insurance companies asking that the tanks be tested
before someone purchases a house that has a tank. We check for water and
that's about it. There ARE companies out there that will pressure check
them, but I understand it's not cheap.

I say if you keep the tank full in the off season and check it for water
periodically, you won't have a problem. I agree that there is no set life
expectancy of a tank.