Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default Do VFD's make pulleys obsolete?

Jim Stewart wrote:
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Would you recommend a stepped pulley system in conjuction w/ VFD over
a trad'l split pulley/variable speed drive system for most situations?

I've been told by a machinist I trusted that
the vari-speed heads are more trouble than
they are worth. I'm sure we'll hear from
everyone that has had a vari-speed for 30 years
and no problems, but I'd stick with a stepped
pulley and VFD.

Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

ergo the distinction between variable speed/stepped pulleys moot (at
least w/ 3 ph motors)?

One thing is for su VFD is lot more expensive than stepped
pulleys!
But mebbe the way to go, if there are no other disadvantages.

Depends totally on how much power your
cutter needs. I have a 1hp VFD and motor
with a stepped pulley and I go for weeks
without moving the pulley. I do mostly
AL and small cuts.

If you do lots of steel with big cutters,
then you need to 'downshift'.

He probably never read the directions. "adjust speed only while spindle
is running"

John