Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Rewire Lighting Circuits

Richard Conway wrote:

mark harrison wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) Wrote:
In article ,
mark harrison
wrote:
Could people answer on what would the estimated cost would be to
replace these circuits and what would entail please. I see this as an
issue were outside parties are neededto be sourced.
I live in the northwest if this helps and if anyone can recommend an
electrician please.

This is a DIY group where you'll get advice on DIY. You might do better
on
a local group for advice on decent tradesmen.

The biggest cost in re-wiring is labour. Getting at the wiring and
making
good afterwards. Both of which impossible to assess without a site
survey.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thankyou for the replies Gents. I understand what you say Dave, but to
be told that your wiring circuit is unsafe as it was put to us was a
cause of concern. Thats why the wife and I went into panic mode and
made the presumption that it was something that we could not do
ourselves.
The wiring is PVC coated 2 core, so running an external earth wire
could do the trick as Christian inferred ?

I don't think Christian was intending you to run separate earths, but to
replace the runs of cable with new twin and earth. AIUI it isn't
permissible under the current regs to run the CPC separately unless you
are using single cables in conduit.

I've seen it written that it is OK, provided that the CPC follows the route
of the cable/circuit it's protecting - but there has been much debate about
this.

Agreed that replacing with T+E would be better and neater with less cause
for confusion.

But I'm not qualified so you should take this with a pinch of salt ;-

Tim