Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

Default Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
helpme wrote:

Please help. I just installed two 2 pole light switches in the bedroom
(they should have been 3 pole). When I went to turn on the power it
tripped a breaker so I knew it was not right. I looked online and
found I should have bought two 3 pole switches, so I went to HD and got
2 of them. Now they are both installed, but I am unable to turn on the
light. When I tested with a multimeter I found only one switch has
power going to it while the other has none. Anyone have a clue what
happened? Did I 'fry' the wires? What do I do now?

Assuming there were 3-way switches and the proper number of wires there
already, installing new 3-way switches correctly should get it working
again.

The breaker will have protected the wiring, so it is very unlikely you
damaged anything.

You don't know what you are doing now, but your post is intelligible
enough so that I'd guess with a book to guide you you'll come up to speed
fast.

HTH,

Jeff

"The breaker will have protected the wiring"
Actually, the breaker is there to protect the humans. Though rare, the
devices can be damaged in a hard short.