Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

Default Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.