Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Douglas Fir difficulty

"Walt Cheever" wrote in message
news:ZBrFf.756167$_o.417551@attbi_s71...
Really sharp tools help. Take small cuts, not big ones. Do as much shear
cutting as possible, avoid scraping. Still ain't great to work with.

Yeah--I'd think hard about another wood. It just ain't worth the effort.

(I have made some nice plates and bowls out of fir and cedar, but it's
always touch and go.)

Walt C

I'd second what Walt said, plus suggest the use of some hardener such as CA
glue after turning down to near the final contour. If you have some time
between final cuts, I've had limited sucess with Danish oil applied and
allowed to set overnight, then taking VERY LIGHT cuts. That was on Western
red cedar, which cuts similar to DF. There was a lot of movement with the
oil overnight. YMMV

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.