Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

Default Douglas Fir difficulty

Really sharp tools help. Take small cuts, not big ones. Do as much shear
cutting as possible, avoid scraping. Still ain't great to work with.

Yeah--I'd think hard about another wood. It just ain't worth the effort.

(I have made some nice plates and bowls out of fir and cedar, but it's
always touch and go.)

Walt C

"Hitch" wrote in message
36...
So, based on what I've read in this ng, Doug Fir is a real b***h to turn,
with lots of "pitting", tearout, and chunking. Any tips on how to do it
for this newbie? After three tries I finally got a lamppost turned, with
lots of sanding, but the base seems to be a no-go. Too much tearout.
What
should I do? make the base a different way and then switch to another
wood
for my next lamp? (I need to make a few for our house).

--
John Snow
"Pull hard and it comes easy"