Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default What Adhesive To Hold Chair Leg Dowels Back Into Place ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have a pretty old wooden chair where the dowel like supports (that go
between the legs) that help hold the legs together have come out of their
holes in the legs.

Very confused over what adhesive I should use when I push them back into the
holes.

Would you suggest an epoxy ?

Or, a "Hide Glue", or one of the Elmer's products, or... ?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

Take piece off. *lightly* sand the surfaces. Add Gorilla Wood Glue or
Titebond or whatever other wood glue you have available. Clamp in place
with significant pressure for 1-2 hours, remove clamps or not, then let
sit overnight. After clamping a bit of glue should ooze out the side to
indicate you used enough glue. Wipe off excess with sopping wet rag.

The clamping pressure is important, though Im not sure how this will
work since its a re-glue and the wood at the glue point may not accept
the glue as new wood would.

This is what I have read and understand from the rec.woodworking
newsgroup. Perhaps you should ask there for better answer.

--
Thank you,