Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default "Old school" method of attaching sole plate to concrete vs. Tapcons.

Sean M wrote:
Hi,

I am starting to frame parts of my basement this weekend and I have a
question about the method to attach the sole plate to the concrete.
The advice I have received is to drill a rather large hole (3/8 to ½
inch) in the floor and then hammer a wooden dowel in the hole. The
top plate is then hammered into the wooden dowel using 2.5 inch spiral
nails. Everything has to be meticulously measured to ensure you hit
the dowel with the nail. This method seems a bit tricky to me
compared to just drilling a 3/16 inch hole trough the sole plate into
the concrete and driving in a Tapcon.

Can anyone comment on these 2 methods? Is there a danger of weakening
the concrete floor by drilling several 1/2 inch holes into it?

-Sean

I use structural glue.

--
Joseph Meehan