Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Planers

In article .com,
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm
cut 18mm rebate B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate Bosch 500W 1,800
rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow
price, or what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the
range. I'm looking for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but
need one that will actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list
in Argos is handy that doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

Thanks for those received to now.

I've used the Ferm one, and have no complaints at all, does a fine job.
Other than that the shavings bag is much too small, but thats pretty minor.

It'll be 18,000 rather than 1800 rpm.

That makes more sense.

Steel (non tct) blades are just about useless on an electric planer. The
one big q is how easy or hard is it to set the blade alignment when you
replace them.

So any experience on that question?