Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Default How to stop squeaky furniture

George Max writes:

I'm glad you've pointed out this problem. I was just about to start
another bed project and I was looking for the "easy way" to join the
rails to the head and footboard. Not anymore. I think I'll stick
with mortise and tenon and the associated bed bolt.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bed bolt."

The bed I repaired used dowels for alignment and Sheraton Bolts for
strength.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1096

You make a slot for the square bolt in the rail, and drill a hole in
the footboard/headboard. This allows the bed to be disassembled and/or
tightened.

Is M&T necessary? Or is it just a style/art/pride issue?