Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Planers

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:20:20 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut
Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm cut 18mm rebate
B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate
Bosch 500W 1,800 rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate
WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow price, or
what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the range. I'm looking
for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but need one that will
actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list in Argos is handy that
doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

Depends what you want to plane. For hardwood you need something beefy,
for MDF you must have dust extraxion and a hover attachment. I have
found the ability of the plane to clear the chips from the blade to be
most important. The bigger the chip you remove, the harder it is to
clear. Also you may like to plane out a rebate, which has demands on
the design. A long flat bed on the plane will make getting something
straight much easier. Where does the cable come out, if you run the
cable over you are in for a bang. Finally, and most important, it is
comfortable in your hand, is the switch in the right place. You try
working accuratyly with a tool that hurts when you use it.

Rick