Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Mold/Mildew in closet

balboni wrote:

We just noticed that the back right corner (on an outside wall) of my
daughter's closet has mold or mildew on it. I think there may be one
or two causes for it. We keep her dirty laundry in the closet and
sometimes some of it is wet. We also keep a humidifier on in her room
at night and I think it's probably too humid when we go in in the
morning. How do I get rid of it? Is there a difference between mold
and mildew? Is one more dangerous than the other and do they need to
be treated differently? There are also lots of clothes hanging in the
closet. I'm assuming we need to wash everything but does it also need
to be treated somehow?

Thanks

Mold and mildew spores are everywhere - they grow only when conditions
are right. Dry out the room, get the wet laundry out of the closet. If
the corner in question is cooler, which is likely, it probably gets more
moisture collecting from condensation. Wipe the wall in that area with
mild bleach solution. A fancy basket in the room might be a better
laundry hamper...can hang wet stuff over it until it is dry or find a
better place for the wet stuff.