Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mice - how many ?

I removed an old back boiler from the fireplace and found a nest in the
outer chimney wall - at first I thought there was only one mouse, how
wrong I was...

Anyway, I got a trap - just one mind you, and spent about 4 quid on it,
a posh plastic affair, and used chocolate as bait. The little bug**rs
kept taking the chocolate from the trap without setting it off, that
trap never caught a single one! I bought some cheapo 50p wooden traps
and arranged obstacles in front of the fireplace so that they'd have to
pass over the trap to get out, this got them every time. I used
chocolate as bait the first couple of times, but then had no more (it
got eaten!), so I just set the trap without bait. This caught another
two of them within 24 hours. We had four in total, touch wood we
haven't seen any more for the last month or so. The way to go seems to
be to force them to take a specific route. Don't use poison as they'll
just go off to die somewhere inaccessible, and then stink out the house
for months to come.

Phil