Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Veneering both sides of plywood ??

"John Eppley" wrote in message
.. .
Most articles and TV woodworking shows insist that you MUST laminate both
sides of any material when you laminate. What is the rationale for
laminating BOTH sides of plywood? If I am using Baltic ply (or apple ply)
and I apply a thin (1/8"-1/4") veneer to only one side only, what damage
could arise. How does a sheet of 13 ply Baltic know another ply has been
attached.??

The reason is to keep the plywood from warping. Yes plywood is many veneer
ply's but they are all glued at the same time. Introducing a lot of
moisture from glue to one side will slightly warp the piece. Its more IMHO
a rule of thumb as I have never practiced this with a more likely to have
problerms, plascic laminate.

30-40 years ago we were able to purchase "lumber core" plywood. Certainly
a lumber core construction would require that both sides be laminated for
obvious reasons.

I can still purchase lumber core today.