Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Pancake compressor sparking motor ...

I'd check the motor "start" contacts and see that they are not pitted and
sticking or bouncing and arcing.
Don Dando

LarryLev wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Porter-Cable pancake compressor, made in 1999, which currently
tends to show sparks from the motor housing when it is running. The
other day, it quit completely and then today, when I tested it, the
motor fired right up. 1) any one have any idea what the problem might
be? bad brushes? 2) something I can do myself or do I need to take it
to the shop? the one place around the corner seemed to think it would
need a new motor/pump combo, at a cost of $150. Yes, they too thought
that was silly. But, then again, that is when I told them that it was
dead. I don't know what they would say if I showed them the current
behavior. thanks in advance.