Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 Part Epoxy vs. One Part for Garage floor?

Thanks. I think I must not have been clear in the post. What I'm still
curious about is all this 1 part 2 part stuff. Here is the data on the
cheaper product I used http://www.seal-krete.com/epoxyseal.htm

The "better" 2 part product is here
http://www.quikretecoatings.com/quik...eFloorCoat.jsp

There is roughly a $35 difference in price per gallon between these two
products. The more expensive one does include the "kit" which gives you
the cleaner/etcher. Of course, you only need a bottle of that to do an
entire two car garage. You'll need at least 3 gallons of the paint
(unless you know some way to lay it down thinner than I was). Yes,
that's around $200 with other materials for a very small garage! This
of course includes no labor assuming you are doing it yourself.

My point about all this is that it's quite confusing. If there is such
a large difference in price, I'd like to know more details on why? Yes,
the two part product "cures" on the crete. The one part "dries" ... or
does it "cure"? Honestly, I don't know the answers, and so far the
replies I have received seem the like the advertising - lacking
specific information about the strengths of the two part over the one
part. The only obvious difference I've seen is the glossy thick coat
the two part puts down compared to the one part. However, I put down a
satin finish for the one part vs. a semi-gloss for the two part. While
I'm sure the two part "thickness" is stronger, I have no idea how much
better it is actually bonding to the concrete. I guess only time will
tell. I plan to call the mfg's on both these products to see if I can
get any more specific information. Namely, what the "epoxy" component
really is in the one-part product.

Has anyone messed with clear epoxy topcoats over the paint? I'm
thinking about it, but again do not know if that would in fact weaken
the paint with more than one layer. Another question that pops up is UV
resistance. Ironically the more expensive two-part makes no claims
about this. I was thinking about using one of the two-part kits to
paint my back porch (it's very small), but not sure if the sun would
ruin it?