Posted to alt.home.repair
zero

Default 3 pass vs conventional boilers

On 25 Jan 2006 12:51:20 -0800, "
wrote:

I posted awhile back about boilers. I'm still trying to make up my
mind. I am hearing a lot about 3 pass boilers. They are slightly more
efficient and are said to stay that way b/c they are easier to clean.

It depends. A closed system burning fual gas will require next to no
cleaning.

Are they really a lot better than conventional cast iron boilers?

They each have grown into their own use by popular demand.

How
long have US manufacturers been making them? Is it really that hard to
keep a conventional boiler clean if you service it regularly or is this
a marketing thing? System 2000 also goes on about how hard
conventional boilers are to keep efficient.

Marketing speak like that is always suspect. I don't know the
"System 2000" however, that _is_ marketing speak.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Unless you need a boiler for a multiunit dwelling (8-10 + units)
cast iron is most likely your best choice. Others hear are very
qualified to speak of the better residential brands to look into. Talk
to a contractor that does residential and commercial boilers as well
if you're on the bubble.

-zero