Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Pete C.

Default Running hydraulic pumps backwards?

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

Awl--

Ahm about to hook up a very bad-assed Kalamazoo automatic horz'l cutoff saw.
Ahm doin my best not to burn it up/down (which would make *three* in a
goddamm row...), but I don't have a way of predetermining rotation on the
pump.
The saw motor used to be a "reference", but numbers came off the wiring, and
that reference is lost. IOW, even if the saw motor spins right, the pump
could still spin wrong.

How bad is that to do, momentarily? Can I get away with it, ie verify pump
direction w/ the pressure gauge?

As a pita alternative, I could disconnect the lovejoy coupling, and look at
just the motor spinning, IF I knew what direction the pump head should turn.
I looked for the arrow on the head, but did not see it. I know the high and
low side of the pump head--is there a std rotation direction between the
two?

Iny idears??

I'm tryna get this thing going *tonite*, as I got some peeps comin over
tomorrow, who I would like to see turn green w/ envy....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Have you tried to find the pump info online? As long as the pump is
filled with hydraulic fluid there should be no problem with it running
briefly in reverse.

To be extra safe you might try disconnecting the coupling and turning
the pump by hand to determine the correct rotation. If turning by hand
is too slow, then perhaps with a cordless drill, the slower it spins the
more likely the fluid already in the pump will provide adequate
lubrication to prevent any harm.

A quick review of one pump manufacturer indicated that many (not all
though) of the gear pumps are designed for bi-directional operation.

Pete C.