MichaelMandavil

Default Harbor Freight # 39743-1VGA, looking for inexpensive basic shop

Hello, B. Thomas :-)

The modern formula for a model airplane piston engine is an aluminum piston,
and a chrome plated brass cylinder. The crankcase can be made from aluminum
too. None of these would be a problem for the Mini Multipurpose Machine. The
crank shaft, though, will need to be made out of steel, and here is where you
would run into a problem. Unfortunately, the Mini Multipurpose Machine is
simply not robust enough to be able to turn steel. However, the Minilathe
which Harbor Freight sells, and which weighs three times as much as the Mini
Multipurpose Machine, is capable of turning steel. Also, keep in mind that the
Harbor Freight Minilathe is twice as big as the Sherline, and again weighs
three times as much. You will also be able to drill and mill on the Minilathe,
although you probably will want to get an independent Mill Drill eventually.
You can make a complete piston engine, though, without the need of an
independent mill or drill. And, to top it off, the Minilathe costs less than
the Mini Multipurpose Machine.

Michael

Hi,
I am inexperienced at metalworking and would like to get into it. I have
brought myself a basic book ("Model Engineering : A Foundations course"
by Peter Wright) and would like to purchase a basic lathe, Mill , drill
setup to practice and have fun building model R/C aircraft piston/jet
engines.

I would be greatful if you could post your experience or knowledge about
Harbor Freight's mini lathe-mill-drill combo (item # 39743-1VGA) . I
have read a couple of online cautions about combo's mentioning them to
be inferior in quality . I am looking for an inexpensive (around 400$)
set up that is portable by one man and is sturdy. As I understand
the minimal lathe dimensions for my (aeromodeling) purpose are 200mm distance

between centers and 120mm "height over center" . I think "height over
centers" means swing over bed (I am quoting Thomas Kamps book on Model
jet engines here.) Do correct me if I am wrong.

Do you have knowledge of other alternative hobbist machines that meet
these requirements (like say those of Grizzly) . Would you please
recommend any . Shereline seems to fit the requirements too but are
a bit pricy and I wonder if they are worth it for a newbie.

sincerely
B Thomas