Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default New exterior paint flaking off

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:48:18 GMT, Lobster wrote:

I know it's the wrong time of year for exterior painting, but needs must...

I've recently painted some masonry (lintel/window cill) using an
exterior emulsion. Previous surface was pretty sound; gloss paint
(probably oil-based I think). I cleaned the surface first and and
sanded it very slightly to key it, and it was totally dry and also
frost-free when I painted it.

However, within a couple of weeks, it's a total dog's breakfast; the new
paint has cracked and flaked, and I can peel it off with my fingers.

So, once I've scrubbed the scabby paint off, how to sort it? Is the
problem likely to be because the underlying paint was (I think?)
oil-based? And/or not keyed enough? I want a quick'n easy solution
ideally (house up for sale shortly!) - what would be best? Is there an
intermediate paint or primer that would make the emulsion stick? Or
should I attack the old paint with a wire brush to key it better?

Thanks
David

yeah...I have this is certain areas..
over render.

I THINK the problem is a combined problem

The areas are exposed, subject to water splash, and MANILY on the north
side of the house, in deep shade.

My CONJECTURE is that water is spalshing onto the render, through the
breathable paint, and is freezing, and lifting the paint off.

What I intend to do is wait for summer, let it all dry our, strip any loose
paint, paint with a water sealent top prevent more moistiue getting in, and
repaint over that.

I don't want to entirely waterproof the render, as it needs to breathe a
bit to clear any moistrure that does get in.

I'll let you know how it works next winter..
:-)