Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default What are the reasons so few modern planes measure up to the old one?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:53:24 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

European (ECE) woodies have the advantage of easy adjustment (better
than the Stanley pattern) and light weight. I don't use these much, but

Are you speaking of "Reformhobel", with screw adjustment?

This sort
http://www.fine-tools.com/G301047.htm
The screw adjuster (like the GTL planes) has a big advantage over
Stanley of not having backlash in a fork lever.

I know the wedge system too, but those offer no advantage over old
English planes that I can buy locally for pocket-change.

My best scrub plane is an ECE with a horn front handle, a hornbeam sole
and wedge adjust. The iron is a '50s laminated Marples though - better
than the standard irons, as I find those a bit thin and bendy.