Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Default What are the reasons so few modern planes measure up to the oldone?

wrote:
I am starting to slip down the slope and have acquired several
handplanes. Nothing great: a Stanley #4, a block plane, and I found an
old Stanley router plane at a garage sale for $3.00--only one cutter
but it is in good condition.

These purchase got me to wondering: Just what are the reasons these old
mass-produced planes are better than many of the new mass-produced
ones? Was it just because they were heavier? Because the were
flatter? The metal was difference? Because the just felt better?

SNIP
Because only the good ones have survived.
In 50 plus years they'll probably be asking the same question, however I
fear there will be fewer good ones to survive.
regards
John