Posted to alt.home.repair

Default galvanized water pipes, warning signs?

Eddie McCreary wrote:

One friend, home repair guy, is of the opinion this is a deal breaker
and he wouldn't buy a home with galvanized pipe without a major
concession from the seller due to the possibility of leakage. Another
friend, an architect and former house inspector, doesn't feel this is
a big deal.

I have galvanised pipe in my house which is about 35 years old and it
still looks to be in good condition. The pipe won't rust through in
the life of the house. Only problem you might get is sometimes the
joints which are teflon tape or similar can deteriorate and drip.

If you can't find any drips, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

They will probably last another 20 years without any problems.