Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Default galvanized water pipes, warning signs?

I've had trouble getting homeowner's insurance because of old galvanized
piping (San Francisco Bay Area). I had to replace it to get coverage
(at attractive premiums). Perhaps I could have eventually found a
company to cover the galvanized but all in all it seemed preferable to
replace the pipes (which I think, but don't know, were original to the
1925 house.)

Eddie McCreary wrote:
My wife and I are considering buying a 30 year old home in Houston, TX
and just finished the structure inspection. The inspector pointed out
that the house has galvanized water pipes and that in the attic there
is one patch and one medium sized rust spot visible.

One friend, home repair guy, is of the opinion this is a deal breaker
and he wouldn't buy a home with galvanized pipe without a major
concession from the seller due to the possibility of leakage. Another
friend, an architect and former house inspector, doesn't feel this is
a big deal.

Not knowing much about plumbing, I did a bit of reading and from what
I gather eventually these pipes will have to be replaced buy it
probably isn't an urgent issue since there are no current problems and
the house is in otherwise great shape.

Does anyone else have any strong opinions on this?

thanks,
Eddie