Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fresh air intake requirements for a gas water heater?

Hell Toupee wrote:
wrote:

What would be the fresh air intake requirements for a 36,000 BTU
natural gas water heater?

Check with your city or call your local energy company. In my city
fresh air intakes are only required for gas furnaces. Frankly, it's
not a bad idea at all to have one for the other gas appliances anyway,
to reduce the risk of backdrafts, but you're best off finding out what
is code in your area.

HellT

Thank you all for the replies. I'll call the energy company to confirm
whether it is needed or not (my hot water tank is a rental). Last
night I spoke to a few friends and family members living in relatively
new houses, and none of them had a vent specifically for their hot
water tanks, so it may not be needed at all.