Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Default Beautifying concrete steps and porch

Dave,

We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front
entryway, with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on
our "curb appeal", and I'm looking for some ideas about how to make
this nicer, hopefully without having to remove and rebuild the steps
and porch. I'd like to reface or cover the concrete somehow, but I'm
not sure what the options are. Can we add wood decking, brick, or
slate on top of the concrete?

Assuming the concrete is in good shape, you could install tile on top of
the concrete, using whatever tile or stone you find attractive. You might
want to check out these books:

"Masonry & Concrete"
by Better Homes and Gardens
ISBN 0-696-20666-8

"Ceramic Tile"
by Creative Homeowner
ISBN 1-58011-047-9

Both show examples of tiling over concrete slabs.

If the concrete is cracked and you have room beneath the door, you could
build a wood deck over the top of the concrete. You could use pressure
treated "sleepers" (2x4's laid flat on the slab and shimmed where needed),
then attach your decking. Most any book on deck building will show examples
of how to to this. One advantage to building a deck, is you can make it
larger than the original porch if you wish.

Good luck!

Anthony