Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fuses with MCB's

There are not usually any side connections on MCBs
Take as an example:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7106B.html
The bottom screw and terminal is used to secure the MCB to the busbar.
A busbar is usually comb like:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5590.html

Ah! The buss bar has prongs, I see now. Thanks fot the picture.

The wiring is only 25 years old and done with all the same wire type as
today. As I said I've only had two/three fuse blow in 25 years, one
self inflicted, one due to a mouse and one due to a light bulb blowing.

The CU does have the two smoked perspex drop down windows that give
access to the 12 fuses. About five years ago I did tidy it all up when
I inserted a new ring main in a new bedroom and replaced the above
mouse bitten cable.

The only reason for replacing the fuses with MCBs was to make it a bit
more up to date so that if I did sell up the next person wouldn't have
to call out a Lektrishun to replace a fuse.

Chris.