Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Kitchen Cabinets + Minwax Polyshades

I figured it was my technique so i googled
on how to apply stains and learned about wiping (apply stain, wait 5-15
minutes, wipe off stain with paper towels). This is contradictory to
the stain instructions

The biggest problems i see are just unevenness in the color. Did you

use a foam brush and not wipe off? I think I might try that next.

Did you wipe off the polyshades? If so, that's a big part of the problem.
Polyshades is not a stain, it is a toner. Toner is a top coat finish with
color *in* the finish. Stain is made to be applied directly to raw wood.
Toner colored finish that can be built either directly on the wood or over
other coats of finish. Even application is the only way to get even color
with a toner.

Try thinning the polyshades a bit. The lower viscosity will allow you to
apply a less thick (avoiding the word "thinner" to avoid confusion) coat. Of
course you will have to apply more coats, but any unevenness due to drips
runs or poor technique will be less.

-Steve