Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

Default Kitchen Cabinets + Minwax Polyshades

Tim,
First, 'Kitchen' is the key word. This is an area that I feel *REQUIRES* a
'working finish' . . . as opposed to 'Fine Furniture' {to quote my wife !!}

I've used a number of products {Minwax among them} that the purists say are
'Crap'. A little experimentation, a little thought, and they are fine. It's
just something else to have in your repertoire to suit different situations.

I DO agree {having learned that lesson a LONG time ago}that just laying it
on like paint {or *uncolored* poly can result in unplanned results . . .
especially with a dark Mahogany!! The good thing about this type of 'stain'
is that it is basically a 'pigment' product. It doesn't go deep into the
wood - as a DYE does. Therefore it is *relatively* easy to remove.

Anyhow,
a} Sand well - 220 at least
b}Brush, Tack cloth, Vacuum the dust away
c}Brush on a thin EVEN coat . . . I use disposable foam brushes . . .
the CHEAP ones.
d}Let dry . . . WELL. The LIGHTLY sand with 320. {swipe with a wet
finger to see the 'finished' color}
e}If not as dark as required, give it another coat, dry, sand with 320.
f} If color now to your liking . . . give it a thin, even coat of
WATERBASED CLEAR Poly. {with the same type, or maybe a little
better, foam brush}Let dry completely, then lightly sand with
400
g}Repeat the 'H2O' Poly at least 2 more times . . . sanding with 600 and
Synthetic FINE wool {'3M Pad'}.
h} As a final step . . apply a couple of well-buffed out coats of paste
wax.

This is a similar schedule to finishing the brightwork {Varnished} on a
sailboat. The H2O Poly is about the hardest & most impervious finish that is
easy to apply. The wax will give a slick surface that will keep a lot of
dirt, etc. from sticking and is simple to maintain.

This is how I did a Maple-topped kitchen cabinet for Joanne . . . about
5-years ago. No maintenance and it looks like the day I finished it.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop