Suz

Default Extractor fan emptying into chimney stack

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Make sure that the fan and motor box will fit inside the chimney, make
a custom filter box and shove the whole thing up inside.

I have a similar set up, with range in the chimney. The fireplace has been
widened and heightened. However, the flue stops abrubtly with some
floorboards in the room above.

I was planning just to block off the flue 30cm above the lintel with some
multiboard. My partner is vegetarian, so there won't be much meat cooking
going on.

Do you think I'll need an extractor as well? This would require about 3m

of
horizontal ducting above kitchen units and a centrifugal fan. Is it

possible
to get concealed centrifugal fans complete with grease filters? I can find
normal centrifugals easily.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm certain you can get it as
there was one in a friends house when she moved in.

I think you definitely need a extractor. In short, steam and smells. Will
make for a much more pleasant environment. I don't think it would be a good
idea to have the steam constantly in the chimney breast with nowhere to go,
unless it is well sealed all round to keep damp out.

Can I ask why you blocked the flue off? You need to watch the chimeny
breast above doesn't get damp. If you close up a chimney breast you are
suppose to have a vent to let air circulate and prevent damp. Causes a
horrible draught though.

Suz