Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
®ÖĞ

Default Aerial Splitter

Richard wrote:
"John" wrote in message

My mum has just got a freeview TV for her bedroom and the aerial signal is
not good enough from the aerial in the loft, I presume because of the
signal not passing through the concrete tiles very well, on her old
analogue TV the picture was never up to much either! She has another
aerial (on the chimney stack outside) that is connected to her downstairs
set up, which includes a freeview STB, so I know this aerial signal is
good enough. The outside aerial cable is on the roof and then down the
wall and enters the house above her front door. Where the cable goes down
the wall this is directly outside her bedroom window, so I was thinking of
cutting the cable and putting a splitter in and running a new piece of
coax in through the window frame corner. Can you get waterproof splitters
any where or will I have to get a suitable box and put an internal
splitter in there. I have look at Screwfix, Maplins and RS but cannot seem
to find anything suitable.

TIA

John

Before you cut the downlead I suggest that you fit a 6dB attenuator between
the aerial lead and the STB. If the STB functions properly on all channels
after this remove the attenuator and split the aerial as you propose. If the
signal is not strong enough when doing this test you can still split the
aerial but you will need some amplification or some other remedy.

Richard

3dB attenuator would do as that is the same as splitting the signal in half