Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight does it again...

Rex B wrote:
wrote:
The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I guess that accuracy, XYZ travel length, and ridgidity are all
important, but you can only get so much in such a small machine. But
any advice would be appreciated.

The minimill is probably the best bang for the buck if it fits your work
envelope. Buy new on a deal like the above. I have yet to see one used
at a better deal. R8 collets, endmill set, and maybe an indexable
endmill adds less than $100.

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Too heavy for me.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Too heavy and too pricey for me.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?

Way too heavy and pricey for me.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.