Dan Musicant

Default 1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally

On 19 Aug 2003 10:00:47 -0700, (Stan Schaefer)
wrote:

(RonC9876) wrote in message ...
: Dan: Bake your painted articles in your barbeque grill for a couple of hours at
: the high heat setting. This will bake off that nasty smell and make things
: tolerable.
:
:We have a winna! Most of these high-temp paints require, repeat
:REQUIRE, high temperatures to cure. I've used a bunch of this stuff
n headers and mufflers, also on my plumber's furnace, they all
:required extended baking at high temps before they quit stinking. On
:the headers, the smoke quit coming off after about 15 minutes, but
:they still smelled for days afterwards when I drove the car. I don't
:think a bake oven is going to do the job. With the furnace, after I
:fired it up for an extended session of about 4 hours, the paint was
:cured. This runs hot enough to make the bottom of the cast iron
:crucible red hot. Hasn't peeled yet, either.
:
:Stan

OK! Thanks! I'll crank up the oven to the highest setting. The knob goes
to 500, has another gradation that would be 575, and has a last one that
says "Broil". Maybe it will get up to 600 degrees on Broil. I'll leave
it there an hour or two and see if that does the trick. I think the
smell has been getting a little weaker since I painted it around 5 weeks
ago, but it's still there. Only gone up to around 400, though. Will see
if max temperature will cure it. I don't have any way to get it up to
800 degrees or so, though!

Dan