Nick Nelson

Default Drilling a rock to make a water feature?

dmc wrote:

Question one: How likely am I to be able to drill a hole in a rock. Something
like 15mm I guess. I have a decent SDS drill is this likely to just smash the
thing up? Should I be looking for a non-hammer solution (diamond?).

This would depend on the kind of rock.

Most limestone is reasonably soft and ought to drill OK with an ordinary
masonry bit. A nice bit of granite will be more hard work.

Question two: Any ideas what this "special halogen bulb" might have been?
Maybe a super bright white LED would work? Dad wasn't convinced that it
was a real bulb at all.

I'd have thought any low voltage lamp would do, there would be something
to be said for making the connections reasonably water proof but even
this wouldn't be strictly necessary. Maybe something involving fibre-
optics would be effective?

Nick