Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Latcha

Default Restoring an oak church pew

The ends of the pews were most likely screwed to the floor with angle
brackets, trapping the seat and back between them in the rabbeted grooves.
If you want the pew free-standing, you have all sorts of choices to attach
the ends to the seat and back. Personally, I'd concentrate on attaching
only the seat to the ends and let the back float in the grooves.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"scbody" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I recently bought an old oak church pew on eBay. I had it cut down
somewhat for shipping so I did not see how the seat was joined to the
two ends. How do I get the seat and back to sit in the rabbited groove
in the sides without drilling screws from each end?

Many thanks