Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Warner

Default Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors?

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

We just bought a new 1200 watt Sharp and I have yet to find a power setting and
time combination that does a good bag of popcorn. I think the wattage might
simply be too high and the lower power levels do nothing more than cyclefull
power off and on at different intervals. Our older Panasonic 1000 watter did a
perfect bag of corn at 2:35 with almost no unpopped kernels. On the newone I
have to choose between many unpopped kernels or burnt corn. I point this out
because even with me standing there listening to the popping I still can't get
good results. That means an oven that did its own listening (if such a thing
exists) might not do any better if the power level is not correct.

Hmm, you may be right. Our two small Panasonic units in the office
break room died, (they did perfect popcorn), They were replaced with
big commercial grade units with higher power and no turntables.
The exhibit the same problem. If you wait for the last 30 kernels to
pop, it'll burn.

I think the issue with these is that hot spots develop and start
burning before all the kernels have popped.

And, no, I don't have the patience to stand in one spot for 3-4
minutes waiting for popcorn to finish. I'm usually doing something
else in the meantime, and forget to listen. It shuts off early or
late, leaving it incomplete or burnt. (Popcorn simply has no margin
for error.)
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.