Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin L. Bowling

Default Need help fixing up a large butcher block table

I had one just like that several years back. Weighed about 300 pounds (not
exagerrating). Was more used than yours. I wasn't really into woodworking
then. I sat it by my garage intending to do something with it and forgot
about it for a few years. When I found it again the weather had done it's
work and it was ruined. I ended up using it for firewood. I like the chess
board idea but you'd at least need to flatten to top. You could maybe rub
some lard, blood, guts, etc into it to get that dirty look back.

Kevin