Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

Default Safe wood for kitchen utensils

Maple is traditionally used for butcher blocks even though it is not the
hardest wood. The belief is that there is something in maple that
naturally inhibits bacterial growth. At the end of the day, the block is
scrubbed hard with specially tempered hard wire brush. I suppose that
besides cleaning the pores of the wood of fat and blood, the newly exposed
wood starts the cycle again. Any butchers out there to verify this?
"bynot" wrote in message
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA