Kelley Mascher

Default South Bend lathe with bad babbit bearing ..help!

I think I would try soaking it in a bucket of kerosene for a few days
before deciding that the bearing needed to be replaced. Chances are
that it will free up.

People sometimes try to lubricate hobby lathes with strange things. I
once had a lathe that had several accessories coated with linseed oil.
Lousy lubricant but a decent preservative. It forms a rubbery film. It
took a long time to clean it out of the die head.

Cheers,

Kelley

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:48:29 GMT, Ken Moffett
wrote:

I have a South Bend 10K model A lathe with a "frozen" bearing on the
right end of the lead screw. I pulled the quick change gearbox and the
bearing mount loose, so I could pull it off the shaft. The casting can
be turned on the end of the lead screw shaft, but only with a great deal
of force. And, it isn't going to slide off. In the manual it shows a
little block of babbit associated with the one piece casting. In the
back of the casting are two ~1/4" holes filled with babbit.

I did a google search and found some mentions of South Bend and babbit
bearings, but not exactly how to redo these. Has anyone ever replaced
one of these?